April 2, 2012

Who is the more foolish? The fool, or the reader?

expect me.

CXXVIII

Sunday was April Fools day. I intend to prove that I am not a fool, so I say BAH.

To celebrate the arrival of autumn, I hereby declare this a writing session. Behold!

and so, we turn from summer to autumn. as is inevitably the case, the sun starts moving away from us. temperatures drop. it becomes dry. leaves turn to brown and fall off the trees. the whole region prepares itself for a chill.



i'm lying down on the lawn in front of the lecture theatre. i'm waiting, casually checking my watch every so often. first, every twenty minutes. then, every ten. then, every two. it is clear that i'm there for a reason. but it's not clear what that reason is. not yet.


before i'm ready, the door opens. they all pour out of the theatre. like beans from a beanbag. i scan the people carefully, looking for...

"...up to now?" "I'm hungry, I'm going to..."
"...most boring lecture so far." "I know, I'm getting sick of him..."
"...need some sleep." "OK. I guess I'll see...
"...for the weekend?" "Nah, not yet." "Feel like coming to..."
"...soooo annoying! He turned around three times during..."


...but what i'm searching for still isn't there. i'm not looking for a girl. i'm not looking for a friend.


i pack up my stuff, move away, and establish a base outside a theatre across campus. it's getting a bit chillier. the clock tells me i have fifty-five minutes to wait. and so i wait, and i wait patiently.


because finding my lost motivation amongst a sea of cynicism and stone-faced, monotoned first-years already defeated by university a month and a half into the course is not impossible. all it takes is time.


at my new base, i settle down. grab a can of cream soda from my backpack, put my earbuds in my ear, take out a pop science book, and begin to read it. i'm comfortable. and suddenly, just before i check my watch, someone makes an offhand remark...


"...think I might overload next semester." "Isn't that a lot of work?" "Yeah, but it's immensely satisfying at the end. I love biology, I always get a buzz out of it." "So, you're going to get a bigger buzz next semester, but you'll be too overworked to appreciate it." "Yep." "...You're crazy." "Yeah, but I love uni." "You're SO..."


snap. my time is no longer needed here.


i pack up, basking in the sunlight, and head home to write about what i just heard.


You people are foolish. Buh-bye for now!

No comments:

CC BY Australia. Some rights reserved. Powered by Blogger.